Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Gluten-Free Girl

One year ago I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease and I became a "gluten-free girl". I'd say I took the news pretty well. I went through my pantry and was left with nothing, but I knew this was something I could deal with. A change in diet was all I needed. Easier said than done! I changed my diet right away and within a month I was pregnant which is what we hoped for. Now, one year later, I am done working full-time, Blake is 3 months old, life has calmed down and I have a bit more time to devote to cooking yummy meals that taste good to me too! I simply need some inspiration. Cooking already seems pretty pointless when my husband isn't hungry when he gets home, would rather eat a turkey sandwich or ramen noodles and Carson is a picky eater. Add the fact that I have to eat gluten-free and cooking is a hassle. I actually enjoy cooking! I want my family to sit at the dinner table every night like I did growing up. Today I vow to do better! I've started reading the above book because I need inspiration. I'm only a dozen pages in and I love it. I have been reading the author's blog www.glutenfreegirl.blogspot.com for several months and highly recommend it! I have a lifetime to eat gluten-free and by golly it's gonna be a tasty one. I'm sure I'll test out recipes that we don't like, but I'll try again. I hope this is something I can really learn to love and enjoy. I hope my cute little family can enjoy it too. So, here's to better cooking is 2009 and embracing the fact that yes, I am indeed a "gluten-free girl".

2 comments:

Natalie said...

Not everyone can relate to that...but I can! I'll go get me the book asap so we can chat about it.


Good luck and happy cooking!

Anonymous said...

I still feel bad for you Gluten girl. I still just think that totally sucks :).