Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Labor & Delivery

This is mainly for my own record. I wanted to get things written down while it's fresh in my mind. It's amazing to me how the 9 months of pregnancy seem to tick by so slowly and then the next thing you know you are at the hospital having a baby. Being pregnant in the summer isn't the best time of year. The last few weeks I have been so ready for this little guy to make his debut. In my mind I was really hoping for the timeline of events to follow more along with Blake's arrival. He arrive two weeks early - 38 weeks exactly. Carson was three days late. I went into my appointment on Friday, July 16th hoping Dr. Huish would strip my membranes and set me up to be induced in case nothing happened. I went in for my appointment - I was still at 3 cm and 50% effaced. He said it was too early to set up an induction time because the hospital was "cracking down" on that. I'd have to wait until week for that news. I left feeling discouraged because I really wanted this baby to come. He had stripped my membranes and said he'd see me the following Tuesday to do that again if necessary. I called Matt after the appointment needing a little bit of sympathy and I got a "your not due for another two weeks, so let's not get excited" response. Not what I wanted to hear. I burst into tears. Matt came home from work and I figured it would be nice to go to the mall and at least walk around to try and get something going. I had a spicy salad for dinner (another to help at this point) and walked the mall. We came home and I went on another walk in the miserable heat. I went to bed thinking I did everything I could and that I'd probably just see Dr. Huish again on Tuesday. 1:00 a.m. rolls around and I felt a contraction or two, but nothing to get excited about. By 1:45 a.m. they seemed a bit closer together and by 2:25 a.m. I was looking at the clock to time them. Sure enough they were every five mintues and getting worse. Matt woke up at about 3:00 a.m. to my whimpers of pain. I told him I didn't think I could last at home much longer. He was actually really surprised that anything was happening. He called his mom around 3:45 and hopped in the shower. I had my bags packed. I had bags packed for the boys. I got things set out for Gail and waited. She arrived and we were off to the hospital arriving at 4:15 a.m. How anyone gives birth without an epidural...I'm not sure. Sign me up for those things the second I get to the hospital please! I was at a 5 and they got me into a room. Our nurse was great. I had an epidural by 5:15 and was moving along. We were just waiting for my water to break. They finally called Dr. Huish and once he arrived he broke my water and sat down to get into his delivery clothes. Tanner arrived at 8:22 a.m. after a few pushes and surprised us all with his small size! I love 7 lb babies!!










Labor and delivery is such a special experience. I could do without the pain, but I'm grateful I had Matt there to cheer me on and let me squeeze his hand. This was by far my greatest labor and delivery. To finally be able to see an end result to many months of waiting is the best part. I look at our little Tanner and know that he's ours and part of our family. The love you can feel for a little person you have never met is overwhelming.
We left the hospital on Sunday {24 hour hospital stay} and headed to pick up Carson and Blake. We were anxious to get home with all our boys. We got them packed up and as we pulled out of Dave and Gail's driveway I was in tears. Matt smiled and asked if I was okay. It was a moment where I felt completely happy and content with my life. I had my family with me and we were heading home with yet another addition. I love my husband and all he does for our family. I love each of my boys and their different personalities. Right now I couldn't ask for more.




2 comments:

Paul*Anne*Cohen*Addison said...

Is it wrong to be jealous of someone when they're in labor?! haha
So happy/excited for you to be done and have your cute 3 boys! Love your necklace you got too.

Keeping up with the Joneses? said...

Thank you for posting this, Lynsey. I'm at my office with little tears streaming down my cheeks because this post is so sweet and just makes me happy. I love your little family, albeit from a distance. I'm thankful for blogs so I can keep up with you!

Congratulations to you and Matt!

xoxo