Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Binky or No Binky?

That is the question! I was semi traumatized by Blake's love of his binky when he first came into the world. I know it's really not a big deal, but for some reason I had such mixed emotions about it. Carson never took a binky and managed fine. He could calm himself down without me having to locate a binky for his mouth. Then Blake comes along. He loved his binky but couldn't manage to keep it in his mouth! I would go in several times at night to put the "plug" back in only to be back in his room a few minutes later to do the same thing. Naps were no different. I was going nuts. About a month of two ago he stop taking his binky at naps and I found that he loved sucking on his pointer finger. Blake is by no means a fussy baby, but when he does cry you simply have to put his hand to his mouth and he finds his favorite finger to suck on. I know, I know....people say at least I can get rid of a binky and not a finger, but this is less traumatizing to me for now.

9 comments:

The Thompson's said...

Oh that is so cute though! Paige is my thumb sucker! We have to get rid of her blankie when she turns 4! Then hopefully she will stop!

Kapri said...

That is the sweetest picture I have ever seen...love it! Oh, and I went shopping iwht my little sis the other day and she bought that patchwork outfit Blake is wearing...so cute!

Rodela Family said...

I'm all about the thumb. Addi never took a binky, just the thumb and I never worried about finding her binky or her waking up and crying b/c she couldn't put it back in. Just a couple months ago she all of a sudden stopped sucking her thumb. It was great!

Rachel and Jared Lautenschlager said...

My oldest stopped taking her binky really late-nearly 20 months. The reason she stopped? She got hand-foot-mouth disease and couldn't suck because of all the sores in her throat. She would go to bed at night just holding the binky as a major security object. After the illness cleared up, I very quietly took the binky and she never noticed! We haven't had a thumb sucker yet, but they all grow out of it eventually!

Jessie Brown said...

THAT'S CUTE.

Sara Hollobaugh said...

Well you have to choose your battles. For me Payten loved her binky and never list it when she slept so I never had her fuss for it when I was sleeping:) That being said... she still HAS to have it when she sleeps. Tried to get rid of it. Lets just say I chose my battle, she won. I have a baby that has slept at least 10 hrs a night since birth and if it takes a binky to keep that then BINKY IT IS!!! We will see how the next run goes.

The Griffins said...

As I sit and read this post, Lily is sucking her thumb and enjoying every minute of it! Love it!!

Erica said...

I so understand all three of my girls suck their thumbs. I has it perks. My 7 year old is still sucking away however. Not fun!

d feist said...

Paul won't take a binkie either. He likes to suck on his whole hand - not quite mature enough to know that one finger will do the trick.